BIOETHANOLREFINERY > biomassexplained


Biomass explained; a more detailed insight in biomass and our approach

Bioenergy from wood is basically climate neutral: when trees grow, they absorb CO2; when they subsequently die and perish, the largest part of this CO2 is released again, and the balance is zero - this is called the short carbon cycle. If man burns wood to generate energy, this CO2 is also released, but that was what happened in nature. However, we avoid fossil CO2 emissions through this.

Forests are not planted for energy or fuel, but mainly for lumber and other pulp & paper industry that pays seven times more than bio fuel and energy market. The stems of these trees should be as large as possible for sawing planks. In order for the trees to grow so large, the forest must be managed to create space and light. This is done by removing small trees that prevent the growth of other trees (thinning the forest). The topping and branches of trees are also removed to prevent losing unnecessary energy.

These materials that meet the REDII/ISCC requirements are used by Biondoil as input for the biofuel/biochemicals plant.

From a carbon stock insight, you can look at it as follows;

- Thinning takes place to make other trees grow taller. Instead of two small trees remaining small, one tree can become very large. Larger trees will absorb more CO2 than the two smaller ones. The large trees that are used for lumber will then capture the CO2 for at least 50 years in wooden houses for which it is used.

- The thinned trees are too small to be used for purposes other than bioenergy & -biofuel/biochemical purposes. Thinning happens for the first time after ten years in the forest. That is why we can speak of a short carbon cycle of ten years.

- The toppings and branches are sometimes used to give nutrients back to the soil and thus improve the soil. That is an option. Only 10% of the material will actually be returned to the soil and the remaining 90% will rot and disappear into the atmosphere within ten years. Because we use this material, we prevent 90% from causing GHG emissions and we prevent fossil fuels from being used. Here too, there is a short carbon cycle of ten years.

In addition to the above mentioned REDII/ISCC requirements, we only use wood from forests that are sustainably managed and where regeneration and replanting is guaranteed.

Demand for wood therefore ensures reforestation and good forest management. Forest owners have not only invested in forests to store CO2 but can also grow as a company and develop more forests.

A market for forest residues and thinning timber, for example, is an incentive in which you rejuvenate the forest and thus maintain the carbon storage capacity of the forest. It is the combination of wood for construction, furniture, paper and energy that is a climate-friendly way to use production forest.

Our projects will focus on biofuels (production of bioethanol as primary product) and/or biochemicals (production of 1,4 butanediol as primary product). The stored CO2 from biomass will the no longer be released and we will move from negative to fossil to total negative emissions. The market is more than ready for biofuels as well as biochemicals.